Friday, August 31, 2007

Reading on the plane

I don't know why, but I've always had trouble getting work done on the plane. On vacation we were on a plane for 29 hours total, and then for the funeral I flew another 14 hours or so. I discovered that not only can I not work on a plane, I can't read serious stuff. I don't know why. Perhaps there are just too many distractions.

I took the book The Foundations of Mysticism by Bernard McGinn with my on my trip. I tried to read it on the plane, I really did. But in the end I read You Only Live Twice (James Bond book), the first Harry Potter book, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, and a lot of magazines. I took a book on the Emerging Church by Eddie Gibbs, one that I really enjoy, and I read magazines instead.

Sigh. I wish I could be productive on planes. On the other hand, maybe it's nice to have somewhere in the world where I can just relax and have some downtime...

I was able to read the McGinn book while we were on Yap. It's quite good actually. I'm not quite done though. When I finish it I will give it a proper review.

Joel

No comments: