Sunday, April 8, 2012

90 Days of Scripture

On Christmas Eve I was talking to my friend Kyle about his year overseas. One thing he told me that struck me was that he had read through the bible something like 5 times during the year. I was blown away. One year reading plans are pretty common, but I was intrigued by the prospect of reading the bible at an accelerated pace. So on January 1 I started a 90 day read through the bible plan.

I finished it right on schedule at the end of March, and I absolutely LOVED it. There were several reasons why I enjoyed this so much:

  • The accelerated pace brought new insights and caused me to see things in scripture that I had never noticed before. 
  • It takes a lot of time to read that much every day. Spending that time in God's word on a daily basis is really good for me personally.
  • When reading at that pace, the cohesiveness of scripture is really evident. 
  • It was great discipline.
After finishing up I've rejoined HDC's one year reading plan to stay on the "same page" as the rest of the church, but I am pretty sure I will do a 90 day plan again. If you've never done something like this, consider making the time. I guarantee you will not regret it. 

Joel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks Joel for taking the time to write this post. I love the idea of reading the Word in 90 days. I especially like what you said about the cohesiveness of the Scriptures. I'm guessing the redemptive story of Jesus Christ was all the more evident as you mused on the Word.

Your Friend, Rob