Thursday, November 7, 2013
Of new jobs, new homes, and abandoned blogs...
After a LOT of work, my library shelves are all built, my books are unpacked, and I finally have a place to read again. I read a book the first night this was all completed, and I'm anxious to review it, but it made me realize just how neglected my blog has been...
Thoughts on my new role:
- It's interesting how different it is being a technically minded executive pastor vs. leading the IT department as a direct part of my role. Although I am involved in setting direction for the IT work at LEFC, I necessarily have to allow my staff to make decisions and choices that I would not make. Leadership from this level looks very different than direct IT leadership.
- I love to lead, it is what I was built to do, but it means having to make hard decisions, and those are... hard. Profound, I know. :-)
- Staying connected to God is more important than ever.
A few comments on life:
- It took a lot longer to get settled than I expected.
- Building my own furniture is cool, but exhausting. I don't love the process of building as much as I love the final product of something built exactly the way I want it.
- We need people. I could not have done this project without the help of my dad, his missionary friend from Germany, and one of our elders who has the skills necessary to mount the cabinet doors perfect on the first try...
- I love Pennsylvania, and I love serving at LEFC.
I don't know what format this blog will take long term, but I expect to start putting book reviews here again shortly. I use them not only as reviews, but as my own reading journal...