Monday, December 22, 2014

Why is this blog seemingly abandoned?

It's pretty obvious I don't blog anymore. The question is....why not?

Two reasons, really. The first is that I don't have the time to make it part of my weekly or monthly routine in the office. The second is that I don't find I often have something to say that I simply must share with the small portion of the online world that finds their way to this blog.

When I was knee deep in church database nearly every day, there was a lot to do, a lot to write about, a lot to cover. The market has changed a LOT since I did my research in 2008. I'm grateful that people still read this blog because of it from time to time, but there should be better resources by now.  Incidentally, if you are looking for a church database, I'd start by seeing if Rock could work for you. It's written by people I know and trust personally, and it's free if you can make the technical side of things (decidedly NOT free) happen...

Before that, I was in seminary. And before that, I didn't blog :-)

How much has the world changed since I started writing this? In October of 2007 I posted about Apple having $6 billion in sales for the quarter, and how remarkable that was. In October of 2014 their net profit was $8.5 billion for the quarter. Think about that. Seven years later their Q4 net profit is $2.5 billion HIGHER than their total revenue was in Q4 of 2007. Astounding.

So with this out of the way, I do have something to say today, and that will be my next post.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Joel,
You said that there should be better resources by now in researching ChMS- know of any? We went down the Capterra road which wasn't a great help but a place to start. We're looking at upgrading to Arena from Shelby v.5 (long long overdue). Essentialy we've narrowed it down to Arena but are a bit afraid to pull the trigger. Seems like Arena is the easy answer especially in terms of data migration - are you willing to chat if I have a few questions.

Thanks,
Jon

Gina Calvert said...

Jonathan, have you considered Fellowship One? The implementation team seems to regularly create raving fans because of their data migration process.